By-election: the Candidates views on KPCA Key Issues
For the upcoming Council by-election, KPCA asked candidates Esther Whitehead and Phil Wilson for their views on the following questions which would be of key interest to members and others on the Peninsula:
- Expansion of the Airport at Frankton and the Spatial Plan: KPCA has opposed the expansion of the current Air Noise Boundaries since that was first mooted in 2018. KPCA Submissions to Council on the subject can be found on our website: https://kelvinpeninsula.org/submissions/. [A copy of our most recent, relevant submission, made in the context of the draft Spatial Plan, was provided.] What are your views on
- the expansion of the ANBs at Frankton Airport?
- meeting / managing the demand for growth in passenger numbers?
- the proposal for a new airport at Tarras?
- whether consideration should be given to alternative land use of the Frankton Flats?
- Climate emergency: what should Council be doing in response to the challenges of the imperatives for meaningful action in the course of this decade.
- The difference: what difference can you make on Council if elected?
Note that the third candidate on the ballot paper, Emily Rutherford, has withdrawn from the election.
The election timetable is:
- 20 to 25 May 2021: Delivery of voting papers
- 20 May – 11 June 2021: Special Voting period
- 11 June 2021: Election Day
Here are Esther and Phil’s responses to our questions
Over to you to vote…